Friday, October 26, 2012

X-Men #101 - The Phoenix!

When the new X-Men were introduced in 1975 in Giant Size X-Men #1 and X-Men #94, a really great ride awaited the readers over the next 40 or so issues.   It's actually been quite some time since I read a lot of this stuff, but I remember reading it for the first time and being captivated by the quality of the Chris Claremont story and Dave Cockrum art together as one cohesive and integrated story telling entity.  And this issue was the real beginning of it all...the rise of the Phoenix!



I am not going to rehash the story which can be found in innumerable places, including an adaptation of sorts in the X-Men movies.  Instead, I thought I would share this cover and splash page by Dave Cockrum.  Easily my favorite X-Men splash page from this era...and one of the better covers as well.


Next time you watch an X-Men movie and find yourself asking questions about "the book"...head on down to your local comic shop...this story has been reprinted on several occasions and in several formats.  Like I said...it's a great read and a lot of fun.

Until next time...

Blogging here on Sundry Collectibles and at Disney Postcards on, you guessed it, Disney Postcards!

No comments:

Post a Comment