Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dinky Toys Model 29g and 281 Luxury Coach

As I have mentioned before on this blog, Dinky Toys were produced in both France and Great Britain.  The toys were originally meant to supplement the Meccano and Hornby trains, but soon after their introduction in Great Britain around 1932, they gained in popularity among the kids of the time...so much so that they essentially became their own product line.

According to Mike and Sue Richardson, in their fantastic reference on the subject, Dinky Toys and Modelled Miniatures, the term dinky actually is a "colloquial adjective of Scottish origin, meaning 'pretty, neat, of engaging appearance'".  And todays example certainly fits that description!




This is a model 29g or 281 Luxury coach.  The model was produced as the 29g from 1951 through 1954...and then renumbered as the model 281 from 1954 through 1959.  I frankly do not know how to tell the difference between a 29g and a 281, so I am not totally sure which vintage this one is.  But it doesn't really matter, does it?  It's a beautiful toy!!

When I originally got into this hobby, I was primarily buying and selling to make a few bucks and have some fun learning about these toys.  But I never had the heart to get rid of the buses that I acquired.  They are just way to cool to look at!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment