Thursday, July 19, 2012

Weird Fantasy 17 - Ray Bradbury

This is my fourth comic book post in a row, but I just got this in the mail today and could not resist!

Back in the early 1950's EC was printing comics that were frankly ahead of their time.  They may have been controversial at the time, but isn't that the way it is so often??  The controversial is frequently (not always...but frequently) the stuff that is cutting edge and most interesting.  Today, I find that a lot of cutting edge and controversial comic books are just plain stupid and juvenile.  Perhaps I would have said the same about these if I grew up in the time...but today they are a pleasure to look at.



Wally Wood, Albert Feldstein, Joe Orlando, Bill Elder and Al Williamson were responsible for the art in this issue...and it's all worth the price of admission.  Feldstein's cover is a classic.  And the Ray Bradbury scripted Wally Wood apocalypse story is an interesting vision of the future from 1953.  The future?....August, 2026.  Lots of automation in the home, some of it realized today, but nothing resembling an iPad I am afraid!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment