Monday, September 24, 2012

CCG's and TCG's

I am continuing on the collector card theme today....

Back in the mid-1990's a new kind of collectible quietly came on the scene.  I remember going into a comic shop in my home town and seeing a box of Magic: The Gathering cards for sale and thinking..."What's that?"  Well, Magic: The Gathering...or Magic, as it is often referred to, is a Collectible Card Game, or CCG.  They are sometimes also called Trading Card Games, or TCG's, as well.  Magic was the first of many, many different themed CCG's to come down the pike...and they are stil coming to this day.


The first game that I bought was a Star Trek based game that came out in 1995.  I actually never played the game...I just thought the cards were cool!  But these games were and are played...and played seriously.  A colleague of mine at work was actually national champion (or runner up, I forget) for the Star Trek CCG game in 1996 or 1997...playing in the national tournament in Las Vegas after being flown there gratis by the publisher of the game, Decipher Inc.

Well...going back to that day I saw the Magic cards for sale, when the store owner told me what it was, I remember thinking, "Sounds ridiculous!"  Silly me!  I never played Magic, but from a collectible standpoint, I wish I could go back and buy that box of cards!  They would have made a great investment...a Black Lotus card, from the first set, regularly gets $4,000 on eBay!

I will break out some more CCG's I have...including the ones I played...in future posts.

Until next time...

Blogging here on Sundry Collectibles and at Disney Postcards on, you guessed it, Disney Postcards!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post.
    free mtg cards online

    ReplyDelete