Sunday, September 30, 2012

Colan and Palmer on Tomb of Dracula

On a post a couple of months ago, I briefly made reference to Gene Colan's work with the inker, Tom Palmer.  These two worked together quite a bit, but their longest run together was on Tomb of Dracula.  I have to admit, that this character and book are not my favorite, I much prefer Doctor Strange (where Colan and Palmer also worked together).  But, the quality of the work is so fantastic that I will happily admit to having a big pile of these books in my collection.

Gene "The Dean" Colan was born in 1926, in the Bronx, New York.  He started working in the comic book business in 1944 for Fiction House.  In the 1960's he had long stints on Daredevil, Iron Man, Silver Surfer, and Doctor Strange.  But Tomb of Dracula was the most successful run...and his teaming with Palmer was a big part of that equation.  I have not studied this topic in depth, but, for me, each man elevated the other.  Colan was less than half without Palmer...Palmer was not as good without Colan.  Again...my humble opinion.

 

That said, today I am offering the cover of Tomb f Dracula issue #50...along with a brilliant interior page.  As I have said many times before...the craft that has been laid down on this page and on pages by other artists who took their work seriously, is clear.  It's just fantastic work.

Sometime soon I will make it a point to break out some Doctor Strange with Colan and Palmer.

Until next time...

Blogging here on Sundry Collectibles and at Disney Postcards on, you guessed it, Disney Postcards!

No comments:

Post a Comment