Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day - Frontline Combat #8

Since today is Memorial Day, I thought I would post something in honor of our men and women in uniform.  I have found a number of interesting military items in my garage and estate sale travels (check out my post from May 15th for a small sample).  But I thought I would pull out a comic today since comics have such a rich history of portraying men (and women) in battle.

The cover shown here is from Frontline Combat #8, publish in 1952 by EC comics.  EC comics were published before the comics code was created in 1954, so it and it's sister publication, Two-Fisted Tails, strove to show warfare realistically...not necessarily all victory and glory.



The cover artist here was Alex Toth...one of my personal favorites.  This story in Frontline #8 is about an F-84 Thunderjet squadron that goes on a mission in the Korean War.  They succeed, but the story is punctuated by the realization of the flight commander that he could very easily not return from his mission...his job is dangerous indeed....and the other side has resources that he does not.  So, here's to our men and women in uniform...you deserve my heartfelt gratitude for your work and courage.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment