Thursday, August 9, 2012

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Advanced Reading Copy

As I have discussed previously in my blog, an uncorrected proof (or advanced reading copy) is a copy of a book sent out to book buyers and reviewers to solicit interest prior to availability from the publisher. When the first Harry Potter book came out in America, the success of the book the year before in Britain was evident, but it was not clear whether or not the American audience would receive the book with similar enthusiasm.  Scholastic, the American publisher for Harry Potter, paid J.K. Rowling her first big check of $100,000 for the rights to publish the book in America.  The rest...as they say...is history!



The thing I like about this particular edition is that it tells you straight away how many copies of the first edition, first print run, of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone were published in the United States.  Scholastic printed 30,000 copies of the book for the first print run.  I don't know where things are at today exactly, but I think the hard back is on its 80th printing or so, and over 400 million copies of all Harry Potter books have been printed.  So...these are very early editions in what was to become the Harry Potter phenomenon!

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I have an editor's that'd not-proofed copy of 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'. I srr 1sr5 edition selling for insanely high prices. I found this in am apartment on the 'free table'. I have looked diigently with no success. Will you please provide a non-official pricing estimation for this. I fount it in 1999 or 2000. Condition is excellent. paperback. Illustrated. Many thanks (in advance).

    ReplyDelete