Thursday, May 31, 2012

The $153 Disneyland Postcard

One thing about collecting is knowing your subject...well.  Time and time again I see people who have bought stuff on eBay or at a show who pay WAY too much for something that was touted as "RARE" or "SCARCE".  Those are two of the most over-used words in collecting.

But this observation works in reverse as well.  Sometimes stuff really is rare.  And while I have a pretty good sense of the landscape of the hobbies I am involved in, I am occasionally surprised by an auction result on eBay or elsewhere.  Today was one of those days.



This card sold on eBay today for $153.  Sounds like a lot (and it is) for a postcard.  It's a picture of the interior of the Nautilus Submarine from the old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea exhibit.  I knew it was not common, so I bid something like $20 for the card...but, that didn't quite cut it I'm afraid!  This exhibit was around for over 10 years at Disneyland (1955 to 1966)...not sure why the card is so rare.  I suspect Ken over at Disneyland Postcards has some insight though.

The most I have ever seen paid for a Disneyland card is ~$250.  And that is one of the reasons I love this hobby (aside from the fact that it doesn't take much space!).  The "Holy Grail" of the collection is not in the stratosphere price wise.  A collector can have a lot of fun and put an impressive collection together for under a dollar a card if you are patient.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment