Friday, May 18, 2012

United Airlines DC-6

Yesterday, I went on a day trip to LA (again...), and while I like Southwest Airlines...it's not much fun flying on what is essentially an airborne bus.  Sure, I still get mesmerized looking out the window while flying over the California desert or over downtown LA.  But there is something about air travel in the 1950's that I find captivating.  And while I don't actively collect airline postcards, when I come across cards like the ones below, I usually can't resist.



Perhaps an exaggerated sense of nostalgia is coloring my perspective, but those people in the card below sure do look comfortable and well taken care of!  Why can't Southwest have a "smart club-car" section on it's 737's?



I suspect it wasn't all glamour and excitement though...the postcard claims 5 miles a minute for the DC-6.  At that rate, my flight to and from LA yesterday would have taken a lot longer than an hour each way!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment