Monday, May 21, 2012

Detective Comics 143

I don't actually own this comic (that's why the scan here is not so good).  But I have always thought it was a classic golden age batman cover and then some.  "The Pied Piper of Peril"?  Who came up with this stuff?  Well...in this case, we know who it was...Bill Finger doing the writing and Whitney Ellsworth as editor.  But, I am trying to imagine what it must have been like in the editor's room, or in the artist's bull pen when Bill, or Whitney, or someone decided to raise their voice and say, "Hey...I have an idea..." and proceeded to come up with something like this.  Obviously, the editor (Ellsworth) had to agree...and then a group of guys had to go off and put not a small amount of effort into creating a story and art to make it all happen.



Along with this thought though, which could be applied to a lot of comic book characters (Paste Pot Pete comes to mind), there is the rather startling resemblance of the Pied Piper to David Letterman...don't you think?!?!

I think I am going to try and find a copy of this out there...it's worth it just for the cover.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment