Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thursday Missive - Is Sand Collectible?

About 30 years ago I went on a vacation with my family to the Caribbean.  Before we left, the father of a close friend of my brother asked him to bring back a shell.  My brother couldn't find a good shell, so he brought back some sand...and my brother and I brought back some for ourselves as well.  One thing led to another and 32 years later I have over 30 samples of sand from all over the world.

But is sand really a collectible?  Well, yes, of course it is.  I collect it because I think it is interesting.  All the different colors, textures, and grain variation make it so.  It sounds a little nerdy maybe (OK...maybe a lot) but that doesn't change the fact that the collection has been fun to put together.  It doesn't cost anything, and it has no value.  But value and investment potential are secondary actors.  At least, I think they should be when we collect stuff.

For more, check out the links below.  My brother and I are apparently not alone!

http://www.sand-atlas.com/en/

http://www.sandcollectors.org/ISCSHomeIndexx.html

Pictured below, my first sample from the Bahamas on the left (1980).  On the right, Aswan (1982). The Sahara in a bottle.


2 comments:

  1. Todd,

    You're not alone. :o) Mike and I went to Okinawa to visit our eldest daughter several years ago. I was so excited to go there because my uncle fought in the Battle of Okinawa as an 18 year old Marine. I brought home sand from the beach where they made their landings as well as a lot of shells. I brought sand home for my dad as well.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! The personal connection from that place would definitely make that more special. Some where in my collection I have some sand from Omaha beach in Normandy. But I do not know any one who was there.

      Delete