Saturday, August 11, 2012

In Memory of Ken Eslick

Collectibles, when collected in isolation, are a bore.  That is...it's only fun to collect stuff if you share your collection with other people.  That's why I write this blog.  Some people you meet may share your passion, or you may be given an opportunity to educate other individuals about your area of knowledge...but ultimately, it is not about the things themselves, but the people.

Well...I learned today that Ken Eslick passed away suddenly this past week.  Ken was the author of the Disneyland Postcard blog...and the keeper of the only online reference site for Disneyland postcards, disneylandpostcards.net.  This hobby is a fairly small and tight knit one...and I am somewhat on the fringes.  Ken was not.  His website is, without question, the best reference on the subject beyond the Nickel Tour book.  I have referred to it on numerous occasions in this blog.  He put a lot of effort into it and was always ready to help a collector with answers to questions, or with spare cards to fill in their own collection.

So...I wanted to use this post today to offer my sincere condolences to his family and close friends.  I am very sorry for your loss.  

Until next time....

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this tribute. I am one of those whose Disney collection flourished thanks to Ken. I will be writing a little something about him for the San francisco Bay Area Post Card Club newsletter. You will be able to access it on the website. Stay tuned.
    -nancy redden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note Nancy...yes this was a huge loss to the hobby. I did not know Ken that well, but had bought a lot of cards from him and he was definitely the "go to" guy when I had a question on the history or nature of the cards. It has left a lot of collectors groping in the dark somewhat. I live in the SF Bay area actually...I will join your club when I get a moment. I occasionally blog on aviation postcards here and have been blogging on Disney postcards on a different site for the last few months now...it would be fun to get plugged in with other collectors. Have a great day!

      Delete