Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Frank Frazetta: Mystery in Space #1

I have been thinking for sometime now about posting on one of the masters of the comic book genre, Frank Frazetta.  I won't go into a lot of detail or history, there is plenty of that to be found elsewhere on the web.  But, since his artwork makes up my blogging avatar, I figured it was about time I commented on his work!



Shown here is the cover of Mystery in Space #1 with art by Frazetta.  While he became famous for his depictions of dark fantasy figures (Death Dealer, Conan, et.al) his comic book and comic strip work is simply phenomenal.  You don't need to be a trained critic to understand this either.  Just looking at the way he draws figures on a page is enough to communicate that he took his subject very seriously.  His work reminds me of Alex Raymond or Hal Foster...just beautifully crafted and not "cheap".

I will try to feature more Frazetta, Hal Foster, and Alex Raymond in the near future.  Their work is simply fantastic.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment