Saturday, June 16, 2012

Kirby: The King of Comics by Mark Evanier

I was out at the book store today and came across a great find.  Kirby: The King of Comics, by Mark Evanier, is a really nice coffee table book on the career of the great Jack Kirby (or Jacob Kurtzberg as he was born).  As Evanier says in the preface, "Jack Kirby didn't invent the comic book.  It just seems that way."  And it's true.  Jack hand a hand in the creation of Captain America, The X-Men, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, the Mighty Thor...etc.


This book is a great tribute, with a lot of Jack's original art scanned in high quality.  There are a number of pictures of him working at his desk as well.  Visually, the book is worth the price of admission (in my case I picked it up for $12.98 at Barnes and Noble!)  But Evanier knows his stuff (and used to work with Kirby), so, while I have not read the book, I have no doubt it's well written.

I will continue coming back to Kirby in the future (see my post from May 24, 2012 for a piece of original Thor art done by Jack).  He provided the comic industry with a rich heritage indeed.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment